Pre-Anesthesia Screening Services
A routine pre-surgical evaluation by a Registered Nurse will be needed to prepare for your surgery or procedure. Your physician will let you know if this needs to be scheduled. Depending on health factors, the pre-anesthesia screening may be done either in person or by phone.
What is the Purpose of the Pre-Anesthesia Screening Services Appointment?
During this appointment, a Registered Nurse will perform an assessment, obtain your medical history and prepare your chart for your surgery. Depending on your surgery and health history, you may need to have blood drawn (phlebotomy) for lab work, a urinalysis and/or a heart rhythm study (EKG). You will also be given instructions for the day of surgery and chance to talk one-on-one with a nurse to ask questions and ease concerns. This appointment can take approximately 60 minutes.
How Should I Prepare for My Pre-Anesthesia Screening Appointment?
On the day of your pre-anesthesia screening appointment, you will need to arrive at your scheduled time and bring the following:
All medications including prescribed, over-the-counter and vitamins, driver's license, insurance card, COVID vaccine card (if applicable), living will and/or healthcare power of attorney document and a form of payment.
Also, please have the following information available:
- A basic understanding of the surgery/procedure for which you are scheduled, any risks involved and the name of the procedure/surgery
- A list of any allergies (i.e., to medications, food, soaps, dyes, tape and latex) and type of allergic responses
- Recent health problems (cold, flu, etc.)
- Chronic medical conditions (heart disease, diabetes, emphysema, etc.)
- Use of alcohol, tobacco or drugs
- Prior surgical procedures and anesthesia experiences
- All letters, test results, consent forms, physical examination report or any other information from your surgeon, family doctor or medical consultant(s)
- You can help by letting us know if you have any special religious, cultural or personal needs or any seeing, hearing or reading problems
- The contact information of the person(s) bringing you and taking you home after your surgery/procedure
- The hospital does not require any special fasting prior to your pre-anesthesia screening. Feel free to take your medications as usual before you come for your appointment and wear comfortable clothing
- We ask that you do not wear perfume or cologne
Where Do I Report on the Day of My Appointment?
Pre-Anesthesia Screening Services is located on the first floor of the Professional Building, 2555 Court Drive, Suite 120, Gastonia, North Carolina.
How Do I Contact You? What Happens if I Cannot Attend My Appointment?
If you need to contact us prior to your appointment, please contact us using the information listed below.
PASS Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
PASS Phone: 704.834.4335
PASS Fax: 704.834.4343
If you need to reschedule or cancel your appointment, contact your physician’s office.
The Day Before Surgery
The Surgery Department will call you on the day before your surgery/procedure to tell you what time you should arrive. If you have not been contacted by 5:00 p.m. on the day before your surgery/procedure, please call 704.834.2821 to confirm your arrival time.
The Day of Surgery
Follow the instructions that will be given to you at your pre-anesthesia appointment and report to the surgery location.